Japan Austria Science Exchange Center
> Zum Inhalt

Visa and Residence Permit

Enrollment, applying for insurance and residence permit are quite complicated procedures and JASEC staff will assist yout with the necessary steps. Most documents are available in German only and therefore we have created a document which explains the whole process in Japanese.


Visa Information

Only tourists and business travellers can stay in Austria without a visa. As a student or researcher you are required to apply for a Visa-D at the Austrian Embassy in Tokyo. This visa allows you to stay in Austria and travel in the EU (Schengen area) up to 6 months.

Please take a look at the website of the embassy for additional information:

If you plan to stay for more than 6 months, you have to apply for “residence permit” after your arrival in Vienna. Additionally to the documents needed for the Visa-D you will have provide the information of sufficient funds, a proof of residence (tenancy agreement) and you need to sign up for the national public health insurance. We will provide additional information on the process of applying for a residence permit and will assist you with the local authorities.

The following documents are general requirements to be submitted with the application form for a residence permit (in original and copy):

  • Valid travel document (e.g. passport)
  • Birth certificate (Japanese family register, with apostille) or equivalent document
  • Photograph (dimensions: 45x35mm) which is not older than six months
  • Proof of locally customary accommodation (e.g. tenancy agreement or proof of freehold property purchase)
  • Proof of health insurance covering all risks (only the Austrian public health insurance is accepted)
  • Proof of adequate means of subsistence (payslips, pay certificates, employment contracts, evidence of retirement or other pension or insurance benefits, investment capital or sufficient own assets)
  • A no-criminal record certificate (with apostille), not older than three months
  • Documents in languages other than German or English are to be submitted along with a certified translation into German. Personal documents issued in Japan have to bear the apostille.

 Please download this document which explains all these procedures more detailed and in Japanese.

Accommodation in Vienna

In contrast to Japanese Universities, TU Wien does not offer its own student dormitories. But there is a broad range of private student dormitories, apartments and share houses available. Please make sure you rent only from official companies which will issue a proper tenancy agreement and register your residence as you will need these documents for gaining a residence permit in Austria.

In the following list you find some trusted companies with a high reputation:

As OeAD (Austrian Exchange Service)
OeAD offers student dormitories in different price range and locations. The price of a room in a student residence ranges between € 270,- and € 500,- per month.

Housing Vienna
Housing Vienna provides fully furnished dormitories in various locations in Vienna.

Dormitories, flat-share communities or flats for students in Vienna and other Austrian cities.

Rief Rentals
Rief Rentals offers fully furnished short term apartments and shared flats for students. The location is perfect for students studying at the University of Vienna, TU Wien or institutions close to the city center. 

The Fizz
Exclusive student dormitory with modern facilities.